www.lakeelmo.org - Your source for city news and information.

2017 Street Improvements

2017 STREET IMPROVEMENTS

 

PROJECT CONTACTS: If you have any questions or concerns about this project please contact the City of Lake Elmo Engineering staff.

 

CONSTRUCTION UPDATES – October 30, 2017: Updates will be placed on this website when new information becomes available.

  • The improvements are substantially complete. The contractor will be working to address minor punchlist items over the next few weeks.


S
COPE OF IMPROVEMENTS: In accordance with the City’s annual Street Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) the 2017 Street Improvement project addresses Street Reclaim Improvements for the following areas consisting of approximately 2.3 miles of local streets:

  • 55th Street North, from Demontreville Trail North to Jamaca Avenue North.            2,100 LF
  • 55th Street North, from Jamaca Avenue North to 57th Street North.                            3,550 LF
  • 57th Street North, from Julep Way North to Keats Avenue North.                                 1,820 LF
  • Jamaca Avenue North, from 55th Street North to Jamaca Boulevard North.              2,450 LF
  • Jamaca Boulevard North, from 55th Street North to Jamaca Avenue North.              2,200 LF

In addition to improving the street base and replacing the bituminous surface, the scope of work includes storm sewer or drainage upgrades, and replacement of the existing bituminous curb with new concrete curb and gutter to improve drainage and provide edge control to protect and extend the service life of the new street.

PROJECT FUNDING: The total estimated project cost is $1,400,000. The improvements would be partially assessed against the benefitting properties consistent with the City’s Special Assessment Policy. Street and drainage improvements are assessed at a rate of 30% of the total project costs for residential properties using a unit method. Residential properties are considered to provide an equal demand on street use and are therefore assessed on a per unit basis. The remaining 70% of the project costs are paid through the City general fund. Each property is assessed one unit unless the property has the ability to be subdivided using the current underlying land use and zoning regulations. The city planning department reviews larger parcels to determine if a parcel can be subdivided and the number of lots that could be obtained.

PROJECT ASSESSMENTS TO BE PAID BY EACH BENEFITING PROPERTY OWNER:

  • There are 66 residential properties consisting of 67 assessable units along 55th Street North, 57th Street North, Jamaca Avenue North and Jamaca Boulevard North with direct access to the street. There are two properties being assessed 2 units and two properties being assessed ½ unit (corner properties with driveway access to both streets).
  • A street and drainage improvement unit assessment is being levied to each benefitting property in the preliminary amount of $6,400.
  • The final assessment hearing will be held upon completion of the project. The final assessment amounts cannot exceed the preliminary assessment amounts but they may be reduced if the final project costs are less than budget. The final assessment amounts are determined after all projects costs are known.
  • The preliminary assessment rolls detailing each property’s proposed assessment amount are included in the Report Appendix.
  • Assessments for street and drainage improvements will be levied over a 15-year period. Assessments will be charged an interest rate of 1% over the bond rate for the project.

For information on your potential future assessment please refer to the Feasibility Report link below or contact the City Engineering staff identified above.

ATTACHMENTS

  • Click HERE to view the project Preliminary Assessment Roll
  • Click HERE to view the presentation to the City Council
  • Click HERE for a copy of the project Feasibility Report
  • Click HERE to view the project location map
  • Click HERE to view the project schedule