he City of Lake Elmo offers competitive pay and benefits in addition to professional development opportunities to all employees. The city’s number one value statement is to foster an environment based on trust and ethics. These philosophies and practices help the City in recruiting and retaining exceptional employees. We are currently accepting applications for the following positions:
Accepting Applications for the Position of:
PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR
SALARY: $74,900 to $93,700/DOQ
OPENING DATE: April 21, 2016
CLOSING DATE: May 6, 2016
POSITION TITLE: Public Works Director
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
ACCOUNTABLE TO: City Administrator
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Performs complex supervisory, administrative and professional work in planning, organizing, directing, and supervising the Public Works Department, including environmental, water, sanitary and storm sewer, street, traffic control, lighting, parks maintenance, vehicle maintenance and other public works projects and programs. Draft and recommend policies and participate in long-range planning for all areas of responsibility.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Plans and organizes activities of the Public Works Department to ensure that adequate services are being provided to City residents and other parties of interest.
- Evaluates public works needs and formulates short and long rang plans to meet needs in all areas of responsibility, including transportation, street, water, sewer, drainage, light, and park planning and maintenance.
- Provides direction, supervision and coordination of training for Public Works staff, including recommending hires; assigns work; conducts performance reviews and administers discipline, as needed.
- Supervises the inspection and maintenance of municipal infrastructure, facilities and equipment.
- Prepares operating budget for public works department and utility funds and oversees adopted budget.
- Provides recommendations for the capital improvement plan concerning needs for infrastructure, city facilities and equipment purchases and replacements.
- Maintain a high level of safety practices through coordination of safety programs and policies and regular inspections of facilities and equipment.
- Responds to emergency situations by coordinating employees and other resources.
- Oversees and participates in the creation of complete and accurate documentation and maintains all department files and records.
- Coordinates maintenance and construction projects with the City Engineer and ensures that that all engineering standards and best practices are met.
- Oversees assigned municipal public works projects to ensure contractor compliance with time and budget parameters for the project.
- Drafts and recommends policies for all maintenance functions including but not limited to snow and ice control, pavement management, street signs and utility system operations.
- Develops specifications and makes recommendations for purchase of equipment and vehicles. Purchases all supplies and materials needed for effective operations.
- Responds to public or other inquiries relative to department policies and procedures. Evaluates issues and options regarding municipal public works and makes recommendations.
- Prepares reports to City Administrator and City Council. Attends City Council, Park Commission and other meetings that may be necessary to accomplish goals.
- Maintains regular contact with consulting engineers, construction project engineers, City, County, State and Federal agencies, professional and technical groups and the general public regarding department activities and services.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Infrastructure and facilities are maintained according to adopted policies.
- Makes sound policy and budget recommendations.
- Requirements of state laws, local ordinances and city policies are met.
- Records are accurate, current and efficiently maintained with information readily available, and reported in a timely manner.
- Preparation of required and requested materials and reports is timely, thorough, and complete.
- Public contacts are courteous and businesslike and the information provided is accurate and timely.
- Develops a positive relationship with residents, contractors and others.
- Performs assigned tasks with minimum direct supervision.
- Maintenance workers perform as a team to accomplish objectives.
- Equipment and labor are utilized appropriately, effectively and safely.
- Expenditures are within budgetary limits.
- Keeps supervisor informed of all significant matters he/she must know to perform his/her responsibilities effectively.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, business or public administration or closely related field.
- Minimum of six years previous public works experience including at least two years in utilities, supervisory experience, and budgeting responsibilities.
- Valid driver’s license in the State of Minnesota
- Able to respond to afterhours emergency; physically on site within 30 minutes
- Registered civil engineer in the State of Minnesota
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Class D Water license, or ability to obtain within two years
- Class D Wastewater license, or ability to obtain within two years
Supervises Employees in the Public Works Department. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of associated functions. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the policies, procedures and applicable laws of the City. Responsibilities include interviewing; training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; evaluating performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; suspending employees; transferring employees; adjusting grievances; addressing complaints and resolving problems; and the ability to effectively recommend hiring, promotion, demotion and discharge of employees.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Positions in this class typically require: sitting, feeling, manual dexterity, grasping, talking, and hearing, typing, and seeing. The individual may encounter unexpected and prolonged workdays and stress and pressures from dealing with emotional issues and conflicts. There is sustained exposure to computer keyboards and video screens. This position is light duty and may require the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force on occasion or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
PLEASE APPLY BY CLOSING DATE: SEND COVER LETTER, RESUME, AND REFERENCES TO: CITY OF LAKE ELMO ATTN: JULIE JOHNSON, CITY CLERK 3800 LAVERNE AVENUE NORTH, LAKE ELMO, MN 55042 OR VIA EMAIL: JJOHNSON@LAKEELMO.ORG
CITY OF LAKE ELMO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE INTERN
Salary – $10.00 – $12.00 per hour
Opening Date – 4/26/16
The City of Lake Elmo is seeking an Administration/Finance Intern for the Administration/Finance Departments. This individual should be service oriented, organized, and dependable to fill a four month internship (May – September), temporary summer position. Under the general supervision of the City Clerk and Finance Director, the individual will learn about and assist with the daily administrative and financial processes. In addition, the individual will assist with the compilation of the 2017 preliminary budget book and drafting a new resident community guide book.
The City is seeking a current or past student majoring in the Political Science, Accounting or Finance fields with an interest in Government.
Resumes are strongly encouraged and all applicants must complete an application. Application materials should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on 5/4/16 to be considered.
Job Title: Seasonal Employment – Public Works/Parks
Salary: $10 per hour (and up, DOQ)
The City of Lake Elmo is now accepting applications for seasonal employees in the public works and parks departments. The public works position duties may include street patching/repair, utility and infrastructure maintenance, and equipment operation and maintenance. The parks position duties may include: mowing, landscape maintenance, park and trail maintenance, and equipment operation and maintenance. Starting pay for each position is $10.00 per hour, depending on qualifications. Applicants must be at least 16 years old and have a driver’s license. Applications are being accepted on an ongoing basis and can be acquired in person at Lake Elmo City Hall or downloaded from the link on this page. For more information contact Mike Bouthilet at 651-747-3941 or email@example.com.
Send application to: City of Lake Elmo
Julie Johnson, City Clerk
3800 Laverne Avenue North
Lake Elmo, MN 55042