The City of Lake Elmo is currently preparing for a significant amount of growth and development in two areas of the city: the I-94 Corridor and Old Village. To ensure that growth is carried out in a manner reflective of the goals and principles of Lake Elmo, measures are being taken to ensure development outcomes of a high quality. Included in these measures is the creation of design standards, establishing requirements and guidelines related to site design and building form. The purpose of these standards is to incorporate the following principles in residential and commercial development outcomes in the I-94 Corridor and Old Village:
1. To ensure high quality site design and building materials, supporting both function and form
2. To provide open space in future areas of growth, building off of Lake Elmo’s existing character and environment
3. To accommodate automobile traffic in a manner that respects the pedestrian environment
4. To utilize natural and ecological systems into public and private development, particularly in the realm of storm water management
5. To encourage site design that is mindful and conscientious of the existing landscape and topography
6. To foster connections between the new and existing areas of Lake Elmo through consistent standards and theming, resulting in an identity that is unique to this community
LANDSCAPE & IRRIGATION DETAILS AND PLANTING SPECIFICATIONS – These standards can be found under the Public Works and Engineering tab. Click on the Developer & Contractor Resources tab for details.