Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb Basics
- What’s so special about CFLs?
CFLs use up to 75% LESS energy than a traditional incandescent light bulb. So, even though a CFL may cost a bit more, they can save you money by reducing your energy usage, and therefore, your energy bills. CFLs also last up to ten times longer than incandescent bulbs.
- Why should I use CFLs?Replacing traditional light bulbs with CFLs today is one of the easiest changes you can make to reduce energy around your house. By doing so, you can lower your electric bill as well as reduce the amount of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Where should I use CFLs?Replace lamps or fixtures that you use the most in order to realize the greatest energy savings. CFLs work best in open fixtures, such as table and floor lamps, wall sconces, or pendants.
Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb Facts
Replacing just five incandescent bulbs with CFLs can save you $200 or more over the lifetime of the bulb.
If every household replaced just one conventional light bulb with a fluorescent one, we could:
- Save enough energy to light more than 3 million homes for a year,
- Save more than $600 million in annual energy costs, and
- Prevent greenhouse gases equivalent to the emissions of more than 800,000 cars.