Purpose & Intent:
The purpose of this policy is to establish a fair and equitable distribution of the limited City of Lake Elmo park facilities. The City of Lake Elmo’s Parks Commission oversees and governs the use of fields, shelters, and other facilities that reside in our park facilities by the City itself, school districts, athletic organizations, community groups and the general public.
It is the intent of this policy to classify & guide potential users / residents of Lake Elmo of these facilities that may wish to use these facilities exclusively for their activity for a specific amount of time into a priority system that best meets the ever changing needs of the City of Lake Elmo.
Priority 1 – City of Lake Elmo
Priority 2 – Affiliated School Districts
Priority 3 – Affiliated Youth and Adult Athletic / Civic Organizations
Priority 4 – Non-Resident / Non-Resident Groups
Parks Available for Field Reservations
The City of Lake Elmo will begin taking park reservations on January 15th each year.
The City of Lake Elmo has (6) distinct parks available for field reservation and exclusive use. They are:
– VFW Park
– Lions Park
– Tablyn Park
– Pebble Park
– Reid Park
– Demontreville Park
For the purpose of fairness and equitable access each of the above parks can be reserved up to (2) hours per reservation, with reservations made up to 10 business days in advance. Athletic organizations seeking larger blocks of time or for the purpose of a tournament / scheduled competitive sporting event may schedule in advance (10 business days) at a cost of $20 per each additional two hour block of time. If the park facility is not scheduled for additional time by another organization / resident within the 10 business days, the organization may use the facility up to an additional (2) hours at no charge. If an organization that pre-reserves a field or facility, determines that they no longer have a use for the facility, the organization must release the time back to the City of Lake Elmo within 48 hours of the reservation time or be charged $20 per hour of unused time.
All other parks with recreational fields can be used on a first come first serve basis. Hardcourts (tennis and basketball) are also provided on a first come, first serve basis.
Any special requests for amenities and or services (ie additional restrooms, soccer goals, dumpsters) must be requested at the time of reservation.
If two entities are vying for the same fields, the entity with the higher priority rating will prevail. If two entities are vying for the same field and have the same priority rating, the entity that serves the higher number of Lake Elmo residents will prevail.
Sportsmanship / Behavior
The City of Lake Elmo has provided (17) parks and open spaces for public enjoyment. To insure that park use is fun, comfortable, and pleasant experience the following rules of use have been established:
- In the use of athletic fields, good sportsmanship rules apply to all players, parents, coaches and fans involved;
- Programmed youth sports activities must be chaperoned by adults;
- Electronic amplification for music or voice projection and artificial lighting not provided by the City of Lake Elmo must be approved in writing and must cease at dusk;
- No smoking, alcohol or illegal drugs;
- No Open fires;
- No glass beverage containers
- No picking of flowers, plant materials, or physical contact with shrubs or trees unless otherwise designated as part of a nature education program;
- All pets must be leashed at all times;
- No solicitation of funds or sales of merchandise;
- Litter pick-up and disposal in the responsibility of the reserving entity. Trash must be bagged, sealed and placed in the park’s trash receptacle. Entity may be charged if the City staff has to provide this service;
- No parking on turf areas, with the exception of unloading and loading of sporting equipment or gathering supplies. Parking in only assigned areas;
City Provided Lights
Field illumination is provided at Lions Park. Organizations using the facility under reservation must turn the lights out (20) after completion of activity or be penalized $30 to offset utility costs.
Parks with shelters can be reserved for (4) hour blocks, with reservations made up to (7) days in advance for special events such as company picnics, family reunions, wedding reception, etc. The cost for Lake Elmo residents is $50 deposit and $100 ($50 deposit / $50 use fee) for non-Lake Elmo residents. Users of the shelters are required to pick up all refuse on and around the shelter, wipe off tables, and sweep the hard surface area used. Failure to clean the area as defined above will result in the loss of the $50 security deposit.