The City of Lake Elmo has developed Engineering Design Standards for the planning and design of public infrastructure within the city. They provide the minimum design requirements, acceptable products, and standardized contract documents, specifications and details to ensure that all public infrastructure work in the city is constructed to a high quality consistent standard meeting the community’s goals and objectives.
The standards and guidelines apply to new development projects designed by consultants and constructed by contractors employed by private owners, as well as infrastructure development and rehabilitation projects designed and constructed by the city’s consultants or contractors.
The Engineering Design Standards are living documents, seeking constant and continuous improvement. They are not meant to be all inclusive or rigid requirements. The City will be receptive to change in those cases where variations will achieve a better technical or economical solution. Consultants are encouraged to seek new and better solutions. However, exceptions to these design standards will be allowed only upon City Engineer approval. To expedite City Plan reviews, exceptions shall be clearly identified in writing with the Plan submittal with full supporting documentation.
ENGINEERING DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION MANUAL
- Engineering Design Standards: A summary of acceptable products and minimum design requirements for proposed city infrastructure.
- Plan Sheet Format Requirements: A summary of minimum requirements for plan sheets developed for each project. The minimum criteria shall be followed for all projects. Failure to follow these requirements may delay the city’s plan review.
- Standard Specifications for the City of Lake Elmo: The Standard Specifications shall be included in the contract documents for all private development projects. The specifications shall be bound with the project manual or project specification book, and shall not be edited. Project specific requirement sections shall be inserted where specific requirements or changes are needed. Entire sections not pertaining to the specific project shall be excluded.
- Standard Details for the City of Lake Elmo: The Standard Details are specific requirements for the construction of City infrastructure. All drawings which apply to the specific project shall be included in the plan drawings. Details which do not pertain to the project shall NOT be included. Standard Plan Notes shall be placed on the stated plan sheets of the construction drawings.
- Storm water and erosion and sediment control
LANDSCAPING AND IRRIGATION DETAILS AND SPECIFICATIONS – Applicable Landscaping and Irrigation details are required on all Landscape Plans.