www.lakeelmo.org - Your source for city news and information.

Right-of-Way Permitting

Working in the City Right-of-Way?  Apply for a Right-of-Way Permit

Any person or company who wishes to obstruct or excavate in the City right-of-way must apply for and be granted an Excavation or Obstruction Permit before work may proceed.  Right-of-way is the property on which the street is located and that extends behind the curb approximately 10 to 15 feet.

Roadway jurisdiction dictates which agency you would contact for a permit. There are three roadway agencies in the City of Lake Elmo: City, Washington County or Mn/DOT. Please consult the Roadway Jurisdiction Map to determine the jurisdiction of the right-of-way you are going to be doing work in.

Completed permit forms can be sent to City Hall to the attention of the Right-of-way (ROW) Permit Coordinator for approval. Contact the Right-of-way (ROW) Permit Coordinator with any questions.

Contact ROW Permit Coordinator
Tanya Nuss, Deputy Clerk, (651) 747-3900, tnuss@lakeelmo.org
3880 Laverne Avenue North, Lake Elmo, MN 55042

Right-of-way Permit Applicants must register with the City on an annual basis, providing applicant information and paying the annual registration fee.  A Certificate of Insurance, naming the City of Lake Elmo as an additional insured, in the amounts and of the type provided in the Registration form must also be provided.  Companies holding franchises with the City will not need to provide Certificates of Insurance if they have been previously provided under the franchise agreement.

Applicants must place Security with the City in an amount determined by the City, but not less than $5,000, in the form of a surety bond, cash deposit, or letter of credit.

All permit applications will require application fee paid in full prior to the issuance of a permit.

Annual Registration Fee$200 + $5,000 Security
Excavation Permit Fee$275 + $.60/foot
Joint Trench Permit Fee (New Subdivisions)$100 per lot per utility
Obstruction Permit Fee (Supplemental Application)$275
Permit Extension Fee (Supplemental Application)$100
Unauthorized Work Permit Fee2 times the amount of standard permit
Delay Penalty$25 per calendar day



1-Right-of-way Permit Procedures
2-Right-of-way Registration Application
3-Right-of-way Excavation Permit Application Form
4-Right-of-way Joint Trench Excavation Permit Application Form
5-Right-of-way Obstruction Permit Application Form
6-Right-of-way Permit Authorization Form
7-Right-of-way Permit Completion Form
Right-of-way Small Wireless Facility Permit Application Form